Saturday, May 24, 2008

Going With The Flow

Wow! It’s been over a week since I posted anything here at the ole homestead. I have been posting plenty at "Women On…" and I’m afraid I’ve been neglecting "…terms…" a bit.

The truth is, I’ve just been tired and strung out and overwhelmed by the café for the past few weeks, and I think my tales of woe are probably getting a little boring. I so desperately need a couple of weeks where I can just put it on cruise-control and give myself a little bit of a rest. Unfortunately, this "economic downturn" (read Bush Administration cluster-f**k) we’ve been experiencing has kept me chained to the restaurant, whether I am there or not. I cannot afford to take labor costs, food costs, or sales for granted, not even for part of a day.

Take yesterday, for example. First day of the Memorial Day weekend. Last year’s numbers indicate that we will not be particularly busy. People on their way out of town and all that.

So, after a slow lunch grinds to a close, I look around and decide that there’s no reason to keep my tired body upright any longer than necessary. I outline detailed instructions to the good and faithful "D," and head for home. Where I promptly fall asleep in my recliner. Husband arrives home a few hours later, and we decide to mosey over to the café and let them feed us dinner.

We arrive. We sit. The place is not exactly hoppin’, but it’s not empty either. We order our dinner, and a few more parties come wandering in. As we wait for our food, it becomes obvious that the floor staff is getting a little overwhelmed, so we pop up and down, greeting and seating folks, take them drinks…take their orders…

Our food has hit our table, but we are nowhere near it. There are seven tickets hanging in the kitchen, and nothing coming out. No salads, no soups…I sneak back into the kitchen to help, and the head cook starts a litany of all the things we are out of (already.) Out of lasagna. Out of spaghetti noodles. Out of chicken parmesan. Out of soup. Almost out of salad greens. As I run around trying to re-stock the entire kitchen while we are trying to get orders out, I wonder WTF they were doing this afternoon during the two and a half hours I wasn’t here. Within ten minutes, I am speed-warming soup, have two pots of water going formore pasta, and am flinginginstructions out to the husband in the service area, where he has set up our portable butane burner in order to cook more marinara and Alfredo sauce. Our dinner has been whisked off our table and thrown into the warmer, where it will heat up and dry out until such time as we can resume our meal.

So…..augh! It was busy, and it wasn’t pretty. And we had to comp some stuff. But I think all the patrons left happy. If it took too long for them to get their food, we acknowledged it and tried to make them happy. Not like in some places where your server hides in the kitchen until your food comes out, and you never hear so much as a "sorry this took so long." I don’t know if we recruited any regular customers last night. But I think we at least didn’t make any enemies.

And this morning…we were all prepped and ready for a busy day. But last years numbers lied to us once again (surprise); so here I am sitting in my recliner and finishing up this post I was too tired to wrap up last night.

I would like to tear my hair out, but it’s sunny and it’s a holiday weekend…so I think I’m just gonna go have some fun and relax while I can. I’m sure some kind of big disaster will come up before the weekend is over…

7 comments:

  1. Disaster?  Maybe yes.  Maybe no.  Go, Lisa, find some eagles for me ... and take lots of pictures.  'kay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take Lucy eagle searching. I'm sure she'll love it. And so will you.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish for you a disaster free holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your husband have such a wonderful relationship.....

    This is like reading about love in action....  Its not hearts and flowers its  a helping hand and a cheerful attitude......

    You make me believe in it even if I never find that kind of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is pretty interesting for you since the cafe opened! I, for one, never ire of your cafe entries.t

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep checking my status.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good thing you decided to eat at the cafe.  Maybe better than if they called you at home, or worse yet, not called.

    ReplyDelete