Friday, July 1, 2005

Pacific Northwest Confluence


Well, here I am…wide awake at a quarter past midnight. The joys of fluctuating hormones have completely screwed up my sleep patterns. When I finally DO crawl into bed, I wake up every 90 minutes or so awash in the perspiration of a virulent hot flash. My most restful sleep usually comes after my 4:00 am hot flash, which sometimes lasts until 6:00 am… I cover my head with a pillow to block out that pesky solstice plus a week early morning sun, and finally stop sweating long enough to drift off. Then, suddenly I jerk myself awake, struggle to see the clock, and see that it is nearing 9:00 am. I stumble out of bed, still groggy, feeling like I have slept half the day away.

It’s times like these that I’m grateful that I’m "semi-retired." I can’t imagine what it would be like to have to haul myself out of bed at 6 am to get ready for work after four hours or less of actual sleep, night after night.

On this particular night, I really SHOULD be dragging my butt to bed, because I actually have to set the alarm for a relatively early rising in the morning. I must be showered, dressed, and out of the house by 8:00 Friday morning…so that I can point my car in a northerly direction toward Olympia, WA. Where I have scheduled my THIRD face-to-face meeting with an AOL journal friend. I have previously met Marcy (punky5678) and Lisa (cw2smom). Tomorrow, I am slated to meet the much younger and much more successful (than me) Robbie (krobbie67)—that life-in-the-fast-lane denizen of the City of Angels, who has escaped northward for a little R & R. She is vacationing in Seattle, and I live in far northern Oregon, so we thought surely there must be a halfway point at which we could meet. We spun the dial, drew the maps, and decided upon Olympia.

Now, the only thing I know about Olympia is that it is the capitol of Washington, and that for 8 years, I drove through it about once a month on my way from Oregon to Seattle for managers’ meetings for the company I worked for. Robbie did some research, and found that Olympia holds a big-time farmers’ market during the summer months; which, coincidentally, is also having a jazz festival tomorrow. What could be more fun?

I’m looking forward to a couple hours of fresh northwest produce, crafts, jazz…and, most importantly, Robbie. Of course, I’ll have my camera…so I promise pictures of this "mini-confluence." ¡Hasta luego!

8 comments:

  1. Have fun, you two.  I'll be there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is great.  Can't wait to see the pictures!
    http://journals.aol.com/oceanmrc/MidlifeMatters/

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest taking magnesium sulfate for the hot flases. It really worked for me. Take anywhere from 250-750 mgs a day. Just find the dose that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!  More girlfriend time!   Have fun and stay outta trouble would ya?  LOL!  Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. lightyears2venusJuly 1, 2005 at 3:34 PM

    I've been a red-hot mama for several years now and it is the worst, night or day.  I have to get up, splash water on and stand in front of a fan about twice a night, so not quite as disruptive as your flashies.  I used to always be too cold, especially in air-conditioning, but not now.  I feel for all the skinny girls in my classroom, sandwiched between 12-year old boys who always want the AC on and a teacher who is also hormonally-challenged, mopping her brow and turning the AC even lower.  They just plead with me and the boys and huddle into their skimpy little tops.   I will try the magnesium sulfate!  I'm always trolling WebMD for my husband and kids' ailments, but since abandoning HRT during the scare I haven't taken the time to research for my own albatross.  Have a blast in Olympia.  I'm sure jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lisa I am so proud of you....and a wee bit jealous.  I would so love to meet both of you too.

    Have fun and drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so exciting to meet another j-land friend.  I hope you had a wonderful time.  I'm a little envious...both you and Robbie are girls I would LOVE to meet f2f.

    ReplyDelete