Monday, October 26, 2009

...and Some Days You're The Bug

Conversation at the end of a long, frustrating day on which I spent 11 hours at the restaurant chasing my tail and accomplishing almost nothing:

Husband: Hey…go to “intuit dot com.”

Me: Why?

Husband: So we can get a website.

Me: We have a website.

H: No, we have a “Facebook” page.

M: No. We HAVE a WEBSITE.

H: Since when?

M: (Rolling my eyes so hard that the centrifugal force nearly sends my eyeballs shooting out the top of my skull) …..For awhile.

H: “J” says she can’t find us online!

M: Google Old Town Café Scappoose.

H: …........oh.

We have, in fact, had a website since July. After two weeks chained to my laptop(s) manipulating code, uploading pictures, and posting menus, maps, directions…

While at the same time hiring and orientating a new chef and a new pastry chef; juggling the schedule to accommodate employee traumas; struggling to keep our dining room habitable with no air conditioning in 105 degree heat; planning menu, marketing and dining room arrangements for an upcoming charity event; and coordinating purchasing and production for our $20,000 food concession gig in August. Oh, and maybe I walked on water and cleansed a leper or two.

Is my business partner/love of my life suffering from some kind of early-onset dementia? Hardly. He can quote the most obscure football, basketball and baseball statistics about teams and players—college and pro—that I (and most of the rest of the world) have never heard of. His memory is pure 21st century HD…when it comes to the things he cares about.

I wrote once, awhile back, that my husband is one of those easy-going types who has mastered the art of “tuning out the noise…” He just doesn’t hear what he doesn’t feel the need to hear.

About fifteen years ago, when my life started to turn to shit and he was all I could grab to keep myself from falling irretrievably into my own head, I became…noise.

And, evidently, the fact that we supposedly own a business together has not served to change my status in that regard.

3 comments:

  1. Ummm.......will a candle in the window and a big electronic hug help? Maybe it's something to do with the Y chromosome? (big shrug)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem (without the business, of course). It makes me think there's no point in telling him anything. But, that could turn into real trouble, couldn't it?

    I hear you, and share your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

    Dave: "Do you know where the bleh blah is?"

    Kathy: "It's on the shelf by the ... hey! where'd you go?"

    as he walks back into the room ...
    "If you're going to ask me a question, you might want to stay around for the answer."

    Dave: "Do you know where the bleh-blah is?"

    Kathy: "Find it yourself."

    I don't like being just noise to the point of his not stopping to listen to the noise he requested.

    Partners. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete