Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hail to the Chief

Last night, for about twenty amazing minutes, I got to be in the same room (okay...it was an auditorium. A very BIG room, but a room nonetheless) with the President of the United States.

After standing on the sidewalk for three hours (I SO wore the wrong shoes) then sitting in an ugly auditorium for two more hours, and having to endure a rather childish political pep rally, that man walked out on the stage.

I'm not saying it was worth all the peripheral bullshit to get a glimpse of an obviously tired president who was sniffling from a cold and guzzling water in order to try to retain an audible voice for the duration of his speech. And we were really far away (mostly watched him on the Big Screen.) :(

But I realized I am still very proud that he is President of the United States. I'm proud that I voted for him. I'm proud that he speaks FOR me, and TO me as if I were a rational adult.

I'm proud of what he has achieved so far, in the face of ridiculous opposition. And I'm proud that he hasn't lost heart, and that he's just going to keep on plugging. He has set his sights on accomplishing as much as he possibly can while he holds the highest office in the land. I'm proud that I was in that crowd, among those five thousand people who showed him a degree of excitement, admiration and support that, I'll wager, he doesn't encounter too often these days.

Barack Obama has my greatest respect and loyalty.

Hail to the Chief!


Cross-posted from Women On.

2 comments:

  1. He was in Chicago a week ago or so, and if I had had $500 I would have gladly spent it to see him speak and have dinner. (although maybe the $500 version included standing room only and appetizers?) regardless I would have gone. So glad you did and shared it with us. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous :) I would have gone through the standing too to make it see our President. It saddens me the way so many in our Country, and particularly in my neck of the woods, show such little respect for a man who, in my opinion, is slowly but surely making things better! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete