Friday, June 2, 2017

Next Level Lens

So, today....

I ordered this:

 
 
I've been dancing around getting one of these for years.  Went so far as to buy a $1400 camera last fall (that has turned out to be mostly frustration in a box) to put it on, and still couldn't pull the trigger on it.  I have no idea why.  Or maybe I do.  I don't know. 
 
For some reason, I was completely cowed by how much it cost.  Which is odd, because the telephoto I own now cost more than this one.  In 2008 dollars. 
 
So I put my 4-year-old $700 Canon on Craigslist--the Canon I don't use because learning the ins and outs of ONE brand of digital camera is MORE than enough--and got a couple hundred dollars to throw toward this spendy lens for the camera I DO use. 
 
I figure the surprising ease with which I unloaded the Canon was a sign from the Universe that I REALLY do Want. This. Lens.  And I should have it. 
 
Anyway...it's coming some time next week from Amazon. 
 
Kinda can't wait.  Kinda scared to death.
 
Seems like most every time I've tried to take something--anything--in my life to "the next level," the next level was generally "crash and burn." 
 
We'll see.   

3 comments:

  1. I hope it is the match made in heaven! Would love to eventually see some things you captured with it on here.😉
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't mind a little unsolicited advise...I have the comparable lens from Tamron and I like it and use it a lot. I got some guidance from another photographer which helped me a great deal with my bird photography. You're going to find that even though this lens is hand holdable and you'll get some decent shots, the weight does wear you down. You know you should use a tripod....but they're just cumbersome and a pain in the ass for anything that moves. The suggestion was a gimbal head on a monopod. You get the additional stability with a lot more flexibility. Only one leg height to adjust and it's much easier to move around. I find it much less frustrating and the results are more consistent. Enjoy the new toy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat. I actually did get myself a decent-quality lightweight tripod...which I have yet to use! :D.You're right: a tripod just seems like a pain in the ass on many levels. Many people have recommended the monopod. I have never had much luck with mine...but if you recommend it, I'll have to give it a whirl.

      Delete