Monday, September 11, 2017

Choose Love

It's that anniversary again. 

The one upon which every person who would like to identify as a "good" American posts images of flags, or smoking towers, or firemen, or two bright lights piercing the night sky where two brick-and-mortar towers used to stand...

...emblazoned with the words, "Never forget."

I've made no secret of my opinion of that sentiment, especially in regard to this event  in particular, this event that everyone rabidly wants to never forget.  I was prepared to go into great detail about WHY I loathe the very words, and certainly the fear, hatred and ultra-nationalism that inspires them. 

But I realized I have already written that essay.  Four years ago.

You can find it here:

Never Forget? 

I will add this to my list of things we should never forget:

Take one look at the state of our national government, at who sits behind the desk in the Oval Office, at who controls the do-nothing Congress, at the deep and deepening divide between political ideologies in America...and never forget that THIS is the result of the actions of morally bankrupt leaders exploiting a national tragedy to accomplish their own corrupt agenda. 

The politics of fear.

The politics of hate.

The politics of  "I got mine."

The politics of division.

Bin Laden, damn his soul to perdition, did indeed all but destroy this country on that day 16 years ago.

So I'll not be admonishing anyone to "never forget" in the conventionally accepted sense of those words.

But I will share this sentiment that a friend shared on Facebook, which I find represents exactly how this anniversary should be treated:





 

No comments:

Post a Comment