Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Winter Solstice

hand raised in shield and salute
I’ve watched my retreating love
disappear southward
          his warmth a mockery
          his smile weak and distant
          the cold of his absence
          claims my world

each day sees a larger plot
of my heart in shadow and frost
as he grows smaller
          and now the rain
          has washed away
          the consoling memory
          of his wink and grin

someone tells me
he has turned
reconsidered his leaving…
          tomorrow and tomorrow
          will he be nearer?
          will his closeness thaw my heart?
          when will I know?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Lisa.  This is heart-breaking.  And I don't even know who you're referring to!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lisa, that is so lovely.  My niece is a Pagan and celebrates the winter solstice, she would love that poem.  

    Annie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here comes the sun
    Here comes the sun
    Here comes the sun
    And it's all right
    (George Harrison)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Lisa!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete