Monday, November 10, 2003

Adventures in Jounal-land

Been out and about, reading other journals.  I haven't found too many, yet, that I think are worth going back to again and again.  Keep running into references about being nominated for "Top Journal Picks" or whatever.  Seems we've even found a way to make journal writing a competitive endeavor.  :-P

I write this journal because I will always have things rolling around in my head that have to come out through my pen (keyboard?)  Always have had, but most of the stuff I've written will never see the light of day, so to speak.  You don't go around asking other people to read your journal.  I've even gone so far as to leave my notebooks lying around where my husband couldn't miss them, open to something I would have loved him to read.  Alas...he's such a respecter of my privacy, even that didn't work.  Don't know that I could be so purehearted if the tables were turned...

Anyway, when I learned about "blogging" it seemed to offer me what I've always wanted:  The opportunity to write things that other people might even READ.  I don't want to use this as a forum to prove I'm a good writer.  (I might have been once, many years ago, before I lost my innocence...)  I'm just hoping I can write something that makes sense to someone else.  I read over my old journals a lot.   They go back thirty years.  I can say the stuff is good...but what a kick it would be if there was someone who could back me up! 

Anyway, back to my original point...Why does it have to be a competition?  All you budding (frustrated?) writers out there...who do you hope is gonna read this stuff?  Are there journal scouts out there that I don't know about?  Kind of changes the spirit of the whole "journal" idea.  Makes the writing frenetic and superficially entertaining, like Hans Christian Anderson on meth.   Maybe I'm just reading the wrong journals?

4 comments:

  1. Insight32 says there is this big clique out there in journal land! I see everyone patting each others backs. Seems irrational to be handing out "best" awards. I don't get it either, L. I love reading your journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think everyone does it differently. I thought the journal awards were a nice idea that someone had to recognize some journals they enjoyed. However, I too have had issues with wondering if my journal lived up to some "standard." But I wouldn't worry about it. Just write what you want, kwim?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and additional comments. LOL Your entry has given me so much to think about I can't even respond adequately. I'd have to think about it for a while. To me, *that* is exactly what a good journal is. One that appeals to the reader and gives them something to carry away with them after they've finished the entry. That would be good writing, whether it wins an award or not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness....journal scouts out there! LMAO
    Nice place you've got here.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete