Monday, March 5, 2018

Venting


In October of 1976, two young, slightly counter-culture suburbanites--a 20-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman--bound themselves together for life…or until such time as the union became untenable.  I distinctly remember throwing in that caveat…because otherwise I don’t think we could have pulled it off.  Forever just seemed too much to promise, unconditionally.  So we gave ourselves an out. 

But, as it has unfolded, forever seems to be exactly what we committed to, because…here we still are.  Forty-one years and counting.  Has it been the stuff of fairy tales—“happily ever” and all that?  Definitely not.  Has it been what I hoped for, or even what at any given time I thought it was?  Not even close.  Has it been the best I could have realistically expected?  Probably.  The mere fact that we are still in each other’s lives after all these years is way more than I should ever have counted on, had I really thought about it forty years ago. 

We jumped into the marriage contract without ever going beyond just that---marriage.  Eternal couplehood.  Two halves of a whole.  We never made the transition to the next logical step:  family.  Turns out I am infertile, and was not willing to go through the tortures of the damned to combat it…as if we could have afforded that, anyway.  Adoption was never really an option, either.  I worked 50 hours a week until I was 40.  You don’t bring a child into that.  Who knows how our lives would have been different, how our marriage would have ultimately panned out, if we had done the usual thing and brought children into the mix?

And beyond that…well, 20 years in was when our relationship stopped growing and started fraying around the edges.   What caused binding to halt and unraveling to commence? Hard to say, but I have my theories.  Financial circumstances played a large and ugly part.  In late 1994, I lost the job which had kept me challenged and sane for eight years (which seemed a long time, in those days) and which, at the time, was more than half our income.  Only a few months later, my sister declined into the final stages of her terminal illness, and passed away in May of the following year.  Needless to say, that was a terrible time.  And things didn’t get any better for many years.   

Through all that, the husband…kind of stood aside and watched.  Because HE had, in that same time frame, at 38 years old,  latched on to a “real” white-collar job that paid “real” money that might actually support us some day; good thing, I suppose, because I have not held a job for more than eighteen months in a row since.  In the way of many good baby boomer men, he believed the best support he could offer was financial...nose to the grindstone, keep bringing home the paycheck, and everything else will sort itself out eventually.  And, of course, work serves as a good excuse NOT to become too tangled in the emotions surrounding…anything.  Not that he wasn’t freaked out that my half of the household income had evaporated (and that my former employer reneged on its promise not to stand in the way of my collecting unemployment in exchange for my resignation…)  So, buzzing in the not-so-background of the worst time of my life was the constant drone of “Get a job!  Get a job!”  Not all of that pressure came from him…but enough of it did that I felt dismissed and unsupported by the one person I had thought would be my staunchest ally.  Turns out, emotional support is not his strong suit. 

And so we headed toward the turning point in our marriage…the point at which we ceased being two halves of a couple and became two individuals bound together by…what?  The fact that we’d been together half our lives and wouldn’t have known how to BE any other way?  I attended my sister's death, half a continent away; and returned home to a place a hundred miles from the family with whom I longed to share my grief.  My parents were aging quickly, and recent experience had driven home the fact that they could be gone all too soon.   We had moved to Portland in order for me to accept a promotion with my now ex-job.  I wanted to go home.  I wanted to be with my family.  I wanted to tuck my tail between my legs and slink backward in time, to a place where I had been, if not happy, at least busy and engaged.  And we all know how well going backward works.

The husband was not ecstatic about going back. By now, he had been with his big-boy, white collar job (hereafter to be known as Job #1) for almost three years, and change is never his thing, anyway.  Still, he made arrangements to go back to the job he had left when we moved to Portland.  He had it all set up.  We sold the house...we picked out another one back home.  "We" were all prepared to make the jump (backward.)  Until Job #1 decided that they couldn't do without him.  Made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  He cast his lot with them and has never looked back.

So...I moved back home.  He took an apartment in PDX, paid for by Job #1, and came home on weekends, driving a truck also provided by Job #1.  The original arrangement was for him to be in PDX Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, and work from home on Fridays and Mondays.  Theoretically, that would have meant that we would be together more than we were apart.  But it never worked out that way.  Any time Job #1 crooked its little finger, he would extend his stay up north.  Eventually, OUR relationship boiled down to a mostly weekend thing.  Valentine's Day, my birthday, our anniversary all happened at "bad times," when he couldn't possibly tear himself away from his Portland office and work from the home office they had provided for him...so we could maybe at least go out to dinner or something. 

That was the turning point.

That began the second half of our marriage.  The half where we would now concentrate on learning how to live separate lives, but still be married.  As opposed to the first half of our marriage, which was an exercise in leaving behind our separate identities and becoming half of something bigger.  Which, I have to say, was never a walk in the park for me.  I often struggled to retain bits of myself...to not lose myself entirely in the becoming of half a couple.  Seems like just when I finally relinquished the struggle, because there was so little of myself left to cling to, I had to turn around and make a desperate grab for what was left.  Because the other half of the couple had loosed the ties and attached them securely to his new priority:  Job #1.

I found work in Eugene.  I went to community college classes.  I worked in my garden.  I spent time with my parents.  With my sisters.  With my niece and nephew. 

Fifteen months after I moved "home," my dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer.  He died four months later.  Meanwhile, my mother disintegrated, physically and emotionally.  The prospect of life without the man who had been her rock and refuge for over fifty years held absolutely no attraction for her.  My family fell apart without the glue that had held it together for all those years.  My sisters and I went for each others' jugulars regularly while Dad was sick, and it only got worse after he died and we were charged with figuring out how to care for Mom.  For some reason, I bore the brunt of the frustration and the anger.  It utterly broke my heart, the heart that had not fully recovered from the death of my oldest sister less than four years previous.  Husband was...in Portland.  More and more.  And I was left to figure out life without my husband OR  my family. 

Eventually, "we" moved back to the Portland area, because my presence near my family no longer made any sense, and I couldn't live alone anymore.  I can't say I wasn't apprehensive about what kind of success the husband and I were going to have, trying to go back to being a couple again.  Turns out I never had to worry, because we never went there.  He never lessened his attachment to Job #1;  our "family," such as it was, was never again to be his priority...if it ever was.  He needed security, and I didn't provide it.  Job #1 did. All I provided, for several years, was an open, needy sore.  Can I really blame him for opting out?

Shortly after moving back in together, "we" started a small business--something that (I thought) had been a dream of ours for many years.  But in the end, he could not commit to it.  He would only engage with it when it didn't interfere with Job #1.  So it became largely MY responsibility, with the additional hassle of having to juggle a schizophrenic level of "I'm in...no, I'm out" emanating from the other half of the "partnership." 

After that, you would have thought I'd have known better than to try to up the ante...  But in 2006, when it looked as if the economic climate was going to spell the end for Job #1, "we" bought a restaurant.  Theoretically, this was to provide us with a livelihood and an income when his job went away.  Only, his job never went away.  And "our" incursion into entrepreneurship instead very nearly ended our marriage.  And what was left of my sanity.

Five years later, I walked away from that disaster alone...feeling a bit like a stuntman walking out of the flames of an action-movie explosion.  Only I was not as unscathed as those characters always seem to be as they stroll calmly and determinedly out of the inferno.  Husband still had....Job #1.  And I had a marriage hanging by a thread, and...not a whole lot else. 

Seven years later, husband still has Job #1. 

And I have a 2200 square foot house that for the last several years has suffered from deferred maintenance brought on by the crash of 2008 and the subsequent "lucky to have a job" economy; a broken down commercial building 100 miles away housing my precious licensed catering kitchen; a small business with a mostly disinterested part-time partner, a lot of time on my hands, and...not a whole lot else.

And retirement hurtling toward us like an express train.
So, from this position, we are supposed to step up and craft a plan for the third half of our lives "together."
It's no surprise I have no clue what that could possibly look like

I will probably be posting more of these types of long-winded whines, as we are currently in a place where he is farther away than usual, and I need to talk to...something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment