Wednesday, December 21, 2016

We Interrupt This Meme...

Today was the Solstice.  

I had my fire.  I rattled and I chanted and I incinerated representations of the things that No Longer Serve.  It was after I had done all those things, and was just sitting and contemplating the end of the old year and start of the new, that a startling Thing That No Longer Serves entered my mind.

Facebook.  Actually, social media in general, I suppose.  In the beginning, the infant social medium---in the form of AOL journals-- was a lifesaver for me.  In 2003, I was sad, alone, outcast from my family, pretty much friendless...  Social media, this blog in its original form, was an amazing gift...too good to be true, it seemed.  And so it was, in the end.

I stared into my fire and tried to come up with what positive contribution Facebook makes to my life today...and I have to admit:  I was pretty stumped.  It is, as it always has been, a great way to keep track of friends you don't get to see often.  But we all know it has been taken to a much more...intense?...level than merely keeping in touch.  And not an altogether healthy level, as recent events have clearly demonstrated.

So I'm not quite decided, yet, what to do with this discovery.  But I'm pretty sure some definite action is in the works.  Don't know that I'll cancel my account and walk away cold turkey...  That might be what I SHOULD do.  But I'll have to do some thinking, first, about whether and how I can reduce social media from addiction to useful, under control tool.  Something to shoot for in the year ahead...


No comments:

Post a Comment