Monday, June 21, 2004

Another Weekend...Another Event

We were back in Astoria this past weekend, doing an event called the "Scandinavian Midsummer Festival."  The weather was gorgeous...no rain.  In fact, it might have even been a little TOO nice.  When the weather is nice at the coast, people flock to the beach, and little local events like our festival suffer, attendance-wise.  But we did well in spite of the poor attendance numbers.  In fact, we may have been the only really palatable food at the event, so I think that helped.

Our booth was placed outside the exhibit hall, because we have to use propane for our cooking appliances (don't want to kill off the patrons with carbon monoxide...)  I love doing events at county fairgrounds.  So far, we've been to about a half dozen different ones.  They all seem to be in various states of slightly seedy disrepair, owing to the chronic lack of funds they have to deal with.  Most of the buildings are right out of the thirties or forties...  Anything built after the sixties is considered extravagantly updated.  Walking around the fairgrounds is like stepping back in time.  

Many of them have "Master Gardens," which are planted and maintained by the County Extension Services.  The picture above was taken in the Clatsop County Master Garden, which was a few steps away from where our booth was located.  It wasn't huge...maybe the size of a typical suburban back yard.  But the flowers were wonderful.  How great is it to be able to do the work you love in this kind of setting?  I haven't made any money yet, but this weekend was definitely an example of why I do what I do!    

8 comments:

  1. Your weekend sounds wonderful, and I think when you find yourself doing the work you love in the environment you love, you've found your truest self.  Good things can only come from that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved going to The Beach this weekend.  I bet you have a wonderful feeling of contentment when you are at your events doing what you love to do! I envy you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the flowers are beautiful!

    I'm glad things went your way for the weekend. :-)  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it sounds like things are looking up with the business.  Your picture is absolutely beautiful.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your next event will having you raking in the dough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! thats a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful shot of such colorful flowers!  It's a shot that would look so pretty with the painting technique from Paint Shop Pro!  I am so glad you had a great weekend and that the business is off to a good start! And, good food is what it's all about!  You'll be fine, I'm rootin' for you!  Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a good weekend even if you didn't make a money ---yet. Great pic too!! :-) ---Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a good weekend! {I love Astoria, I have family who live there} it's one of my favorite places. The festival you were at sounds fun.
    ~Nikki~

    PS. Great picture! Such vibrant colors

    ReplyDelete