Friday, May 28, 2004

Backyard Buzzies

Here's a "buzz" bird visiting one of the feeders by my deck.  I wish my digital had a fast enough shutter speed to stop her wings... 

I have at least four of these little guys divebombing all over the back yard these days.  Hummingbirds are VERY territorial...at least, these are.  You'll never see more than one eating from a feeder at once...I don't know why they even make hummingbird feeders with multiple feeding stations. 

The females and young birds come all day.  The little male visits in the evening...they will feed until it's almost dark.  HE spends more time chasing everyone else away from the feeder than he does actually eating.  They are a hoot to watch...chittering away at each other, and indulging in some really spectacular airborne acrobatics.  At times, I have to duck to keep them from flying in one of my ears and out the other (at least it feels that way!)  And they are not particularly shy.  To get these pictures, I just stood really still until they figured I wasn't a threat, then they came down and completely ignored me.  Makes me feel like St. Francis of Assisi.  

8 comments:

  1. Great picture. I love hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to get a hummingbird feeder & see if I can lure any of these guys into my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching hummingbirds; we have a lot here as well.  And yes, they sure are territorial.  When they start going at it, I'm always thinking of miniature dog fights in the sky!  Love your journal and how nice to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture, we don't have many hummingbirds in my neck of the woods so this is a treat.  Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great shot!  I love hummingbirds!  They are my grandma's favorites too.  In fact, I have hummingbird glass inserts in my front doors (double doors) in honor of my grammy!  I have never bothered to put up a feeder, even though we have lots of hummers around.  Probably because it would be another thing to do and I already have enough stuff that "I" must do (since nobody else does anything around here!).  G'night St Fran!  lol!  Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice picture.  My father has hummingbird feeders all around his house (as well as all other types of birdfeeders--he's a watcher).  I think it's great you were able to get so close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Hummingbirds. This is a great shot even if the wings are a flutter. :-) ---Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice picture!  Some years we have humming birds and some years we don't.  I try to plant all the things that attract them.  I hope we get lucky THIS summer.

    ReplyDelete