Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Doesn't Get Better Than This




It's 10:00 AM on Saturday, and I’m standing in the bathroom, in my pajamas, brushing my teeth.  I hear a commotion in the living room.  Two of my sisters are coming through the front door (they have their own keys.)  They want me to go shopping with them.

Husband and I are in the backyard enjoying our work-in-progress outdoor space.  I hear noises filtering through the screen from the kitchen.  Sounds like the cats have learned how to speak English.  My sister and her husband have dropped by to see how “the patient” is doing (one of our cats had surgery last week.)  Husband takes BIL inside to watch the basketball finals.  Sister and I pour a glass of wine and light a fire in the outdoor fire pit.  Sister #2 stops by to join us for a glass of wine before bed.

This.  THIS is “home.”  This is what I have been yearning for, for 20 years.  Since Dad passed away and our family...dispersed.

It doesn’t get better than this.

It just doesn’t.


2 comments: