Wednesday, October 1, 2003

Do I need a job?

Well, I dutifully scanned the "Help Wanted" section of the local paper today.  Nothing in there that I would be interested in.  Can't think of anything I WOULD be interested in if it appeared.  I don't WANT a job.  That's why I started my own business.  It's my misfortune that the business I chose has a definite off-season.  It's not so much that we need the money, though it's always nice to have more.  But I KNOW I'm going to go stir crazy, and rather sooner than later.  Season has been over for a week and a half, and I'm already climbing the walls with boredom.  And isolation.

Gave some thought to going back to the old job, but I have to admit it doesn't have what I need.  What I need in a job right now is some social interaction...someone to talk to besides myself.  Working all alone for four hours every afternoon in a nursing home kitchen was NOT providing that for me.  In fact, the last several jobs I've had, over the last four years, have done nothing but add to my sense of isolation.  Makes me wonder if in fact I don't crave isolation more than companionship.  The places where I have had the most success have always been the ones where I spend most of my time alone.  In today's resume lingo, they call this being "self-directed."  I'm starting to think it should read "anti-social." 

But there has to be some middle ground, doesn't there?  So what if I'm not exactly a social butterfly?  Aren't there any places to work where I could really connect with maybe one or two other people?  If there are, I haven't found them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment