Monday, October 21, 2019

Peace and Quiet


It’s a beautiful fall morning in my back yard.  The temperature is more sweater than coat weather.  There’s a bit of overcast that thins enough in places for the morning light to shine through and illuminate the rich fall colors of leaves and fading flowers.  Geese sailing across the sky in long, undulating skeins bark and yip as they float over the yard, heading east, for some reason this morning…perhaps that is where their favorite feeding grounds are located this week.

My “new” yard is pleasant enough.  I do miss marking the day I hear the first crane calls wafting over from Sauvie…  But there is plenty here in the outskirts of Eugene to satisfy my wild soul.  Geese of all shapes and sizes abound around here in the winter…much to the chagrin of farmers( and suburbanites who might  like to enjoy a poop-free walk in any of the local parks.)  And Finley Wildlife Refuge is only about a half-hour away…


As I sat outside with my coffee this morning, it occurred to me that there is one sound I DO NOT hear, here in my cozy little yard…and that I DO NOT MISS.  That would be the sound of the blunderbusses blasting into flocks of “game” birds over on the island, from five minutes before it’s really legally light enough to shoot, until well into the early afternoon. 

I’m sure there’s plenty of bird-murder going on in this area as well, but at least I don’t have to hear and cringe and frown at it while I’m sitting in my own back yard.

Something to be thankful for on this fine Autumn morning.    

No comments:

Post a Comment