Monday, December 5, 2016

Don't Really Want to Believe This...

 
I wake up every morning, newly unbelieving of the results of last month's presidential election.  I CAN NOT wrap my head around the concept that the American people chose a completely unfit narcissistic sociopath to "make America great again."   Yes, I inhabited that hopeful liberal bubble before the election...the one that insisted that a majority of voters would never embrace the traits Trump exhibited--racism, xenophobia, sexism to the point of misogyny, and beyond all those, just an outright, down and dirty meanness--as representative of the character of the American people.  But they did.
 
So now, it seems I go through the seven stages of...something...every morning when I roll out of bed and realize Cheeto Jesus will be the next president of the United States.  Except my stages seem to have wrapped themselves into a loop:  Denial.  Guilt.  Anger.  Reflection. Denial.  Guilt.  Anger.  Reflection.   Ad infinitum.  All laced with a strong sinew of fear and trepidation.
 
The cartoon above represents what I fear, but hope with all my heart is not going to be the case. 
 
And while I'm on the subject of fear, I cling like a drowning man to this concept:  Fear has never been the motivation behind anything pure or laudable or heroic.  Fear, in large part, caused the situation we find ourselves in now.  Fear will not raise us out of despair...it can only drag us deeper into it. 
 
Fear doesn't work.  Let's find a solid platform of some other emotion--loyalty, charity, courage, determination--from which to mount our resistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment