Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Back Yard Bird Spirits


Of course, I don't have to drive 500 miles to enjoy communing with bird spirits.  Or even 40.  In fact, I often don't have to drive at all.

Over the years, my yard in Scappoose became somewhat of a mini bird-sanctuary.  I am a compulsive feeder of back yard wildlife...have been for decades.  A rotating stock of four or five hummingbird feeders kept my tiny guests happy...and scrappy.  Hummingbirds are notoriously territorial.  A single male could, at times, guard every feeder within his sight and chase away any and all other birds who even attempted to get close.  Unfortunately, that often meant that the nectar would go to waste, because the little guy was so busy hoarding the feeders, he would neglect to enjoy them himself.  

Here is one of the feisty hoarders perched in the maple tree, master of all he surveys...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment